Unsteady balls are common stuff that you will see in every yoga class or even in a gym. There is another place where these balls are very much used and it’s the labour room and you heard it right. This is also called the birthing ball that is extremely reliable for exercise during pregnancy, while birthing and also after giving birth. Today our matter of concern is this special type of ball and we will know elaborately everything about this stuff.
What is a birthing ball?
Well, a birthing ball is generally a ball made of extremely flexible material that makes this stuff very much durable and tough to take lots of weight. This is not exactly the exercise ball. The exercise ball is comparatively smaller than this birthing ball.
Birthday balls are super comfortable, big and bouncy, unlike a gym ball. This ball is extremely good at stabilizing in a place even after taking a huge weight. You may think why you should get this ball only for a day. But that is not true at all. This ball is going to be your best friend throughout the pregnancy period and even after giving birth to our baby.
What are the advantages of a birthing ball?
Well, this is not a rule that you have to use a birthing ball. But unofficially, this is quite serious stuff to the doctors and also the mothers. A birthing ball is extremely good at releasing the pain of the pregnant woman.
The birthing ball is round or peanut-shaped. So you can comfortably sit on it and feel much more comfortable than in any other position. It will help to reduce back pain, stress, and pelvic or abdominal pain. This is not everything. You should use this ball throughout the pregnancy period. During pregnancy, it is difficult to sit on a flat space or a couch.
In this case, the birthing ball is the thing that makes sitting comfortably the most. This is important not only for sitting but also for preparing for birth. It helps to open the pelvic area gradually so that baby can come out easily.
How To Use a Birthing Ball?
This is the crucial part where we will learn how to use a birthing ball. Let’s know how you can use this ball to get its best before birthing, during labour and also after the delivery.
The birthing ball plays a great role throughout the pregnancy period. Back pain is not the problem that a woman feels only in the labour period. Most women feel this pain throughout the pregnancy period.
Sitting on the birthing ball reduces this pain and prepares your body for birth. You can watch TV and relax with this ball. In fact, sitting on a birthing ball is one kind of exercise that you can do while pregnant.
This is quite tough to find a comfortable position for the mother during the labour period until you get a birthing ball. Birthing balls are highly recommended by the doctor and expert practitioner. You can sit on the ball side to side and also the back to the front position.
There are many people who prefer to lean on the ball, forwarding their hands ahead. These positions are very helpful to open the pelvic area so that your baby can come out comfortably, fast and safely.
These are four birthing ball positions that you can adopt to get you comfortable:
- Rocking: You have to sit on the ball, keeping the pelvic side to side and let the pelvic rock back. This position helps to make a good alignment between the pelvic and also spinal cord that reduces the pain and prepares you for safe birthing.
- Leaning against the ball: Leaning on the ball is another fruitful way of reducing pain. To get this position, keep the ball on the bed, stand up and lean on the ball, keeping hands ahead. This time, your partner can massage your back to get extra relief.
- Leaning against the ball on all fours: Well, if the pain is unbearable, you can try this position. You need to put the ball on the floor and lean on it with your knees. You need to hug the ball with both hands and your knees. In this position, the baby is pushed out by gravity and reduced back pain.
- Bouncing: Bouncing on the birthing ball is another comfortable way of reducing pain. This is a natural way of reducing pain that we always do when we get hurt. You should also do that with the ball this time.
After giving birth
Well, people may think that birthing is the time when you only can use the birthing ball. Surprisingly, this is not true. You can use the ball even after the delivery. In fact, this has been a great exercise material that you can use after birthing. Let’s know how you can use this ball after birthing.
- Bouncing exercise: You can bounce on the birthing ball. This helps a lot to stabilize your body and also helps to straighten your legs. This is great stuff for leg’s exercise that you can use in the postpartum period.
- Hula hoop exercise: This exercise is funny to see but difficult and extremely effective. You just need to sit on the ball, keeping your hands on the ball and now rotate your hips in a circular motion just like people do in hula hooping.
- V-sit: This exercise position is good for your legs and also abdomens. You just need to lie down on your back on the floor. Now, rest your ankles on the birthing ball in front of yourself. Now, keep your hands forward and try to sit until it makes a V shape.
- Overhead ball squat: This is a very common exercise that you can do incredibly with the birthing ball. You just need to pull the birthing ball with both hands and do squats. It makes the exercise tough and useful more than a simple and regular squat.
A birthing ball is multipurpose stuff that you can use in all trimesters to prepare your body for having less painful labour. This stuff can’t help you with a completely painless experience. But it can reduce the pain for sure. So, getting a birthing ball is definitely a good idea. So, make a good and fruitful investment in a birthing ball that will help you even during the postpartum period as well.